Fences do not require building or development permits if they follow the requirements as outlined in the City's Land Use Bylaw.
Step 1: Review Requirements
Maximum Height Permitted:
- 1.8m (6’0”) in the rear and side yards
- 0.9m (3’0”) in the front yard
- 1.0m (3’3”) inside a corner visibility triangle
If, in the opinion of the Development Authority, where a lot is in close proximity to an arterial road as identified by the Municipal Development Plan, a solid 2.4 meter high fence may be permitted to provide noise attenuation and a visual barrier and will not require a development permit.
Important Details to Keep in Mind:
- Many residential areas have a restrictive covenant on the land title that dictates the style or colour of fencing permitted in your development area. Please refer to your land title for this information.
- Fences cannot be located on City property and cannot be located on any City of Grande Prairie utility right-of-way. Your Real Property Report will show the location of the property lines and any utility right-of-ways.