Discover history and nature through the virtual Grande Prairie Museum’s digital source of stories and information from the past. Continue to check back as the online collection expands.
The virtual exhibit starts with two of the oldest toys in the exhibit; a rare Felix the Cat doll and a European War Game dating back to 1914. Play the audio clip to learn more about these artifacts.
Felix the Cat - 1925 Felix the Cat was the biggest cartoon star of the silent movie era, he is considered the first true animated movie star. Felix was created by Pat Sullivan and debuted in 1919, his silent antics were often reminiscent of another star of the time, Charlie Chaplin. European War Game - 1914
The oldest toy in the Grande Prairie Museum is the European War Game, manufactured in 1914 by Turner Bros in Peterborough, Ontario.
Pioneer Themed Children's Bedroom
Pioneer themed children’s bedroom filled with toys including a tri-cycle, metal horse on springs and a Roy Rogers Chuck Wagon playset.
Baby Boomer Children's Bedroom
Baby Boomer bedroom filled with children’s toys including doll carriage, Canadian made dolls, dollhouse and Easy-Bake Oven from 1964.
V-Front T-Bird Metal Pedal Car - 1960
Metal pedal car replica of a V-Front T-bird, made by Murray Steelcraft in 1960.
Troll Doll Cave with Trolls – 1964 Trolls were created by Thomas Dam a Danish woodcutter and Fisherman. In 1959 Dam couldn’t afford a Christmas gift for his daughter, so he carved a troll doll for her. Other children saw her troll doll and wanted one as well. So, Dam started a company that produced troll dolls in plastic, calling them “Good Luck Trolls.” Smurfs
Smurfs gained popularity in the 1970’s. Originally invented in Belgium as a comic strip, later becoming a cartoon in the early ’90s. Original Smurfs and village buildings were made in Germany. Can you spot the Smurf knock-off? The orange gnome was made by an American company called Empire Gnomes.
Fisher-Price School House Toy
Herm Fisher thought the world needed better toys so in 1930 he joined forces with Irving Price and Helen Schelle and created 16 toys that would make people smile. The first toys into production were pull toys; “Dr. Doodle” a wood waddling duck, 1931 “Snoopy Sniffer”, 1938 and “Coaster Boy”, 1941. In 1943, they closed to help with war efforts making aircraft parts, ship fenders and medical crates. From 1952 through the 1960’s they created toys that are synonymous with childhood including this School House toy.
Built in 1896 about 55 miles south-southwest of Dunvegan where two busy Indian trails crossed. It closed in 1902 and became the home of Tom and Phoebe Williams from 1916 to 1923. It was not used for many years and was restored and moved to the village in 2002.
Click here to see the other buildings are located in the Heritage Village.