Excavation within a Public Right-of-Way

Excavation within a Public Right-of-Way


Excavating on public (city) land requires an engineering services permit request to be completed and submitted to engineering services. 


  • Prior to work commencing, the applicant will check with all utility companies to ensure that the applicant's work will not interfere with or damage any utility lines or other structures (this includes Aquatera). 
  • Proof of two-million-dollar liability insurance coverage must be provided before the permit request is approved.
  • A map of the affected area indicating the location of barricades and signage (Traffic Accommodation Strategy) will be required. Refer to the Alberta Transportation Traffic Accommodation in Work Zones 2018 manual for resource drawings and construction signage examples.
  • The applicant is to be aware of relevant provisions of the City's bylaws:
  • One permit request form can be used for multiple applications, such as excavation and barricade.
  • Fees schedule available within Bylaw C-1395 Fees and Charges. Scroll to Connection Permits/Agreements #10.
  • Security Requirements for Work Within the Right-of-Ways

For access to City PULs and parks, please submit an Outdoor Site and Park Use Permit application and/or Vehicular Access Permit Application.


Engineering Permit 


If you have questions, or would like to speak to the Field Inspector, please email eng_permits@cityofgp.com

City Service Centre

9505-112 Street

Grande Prairie, AB T8V 6H8


Department: Engineering Services
Category: Building, Development and Construction