Neighbourhood Associations are registered societies that provide a central point of contact and a unified voice for the community. They provide a sense of place and belonging for residents through education and communication. They provide the framework to advocate for community needs and to support various community initiatives
Other benefits of forming a Neighbourhood Association include:
- Incorporated as a Registered Society
- Insurance and liability coverage
- Grants and funding available as well as the ability to fundraise
- An Association can enter into legal contracts
- An Association can own property
- Ability to create a Community Garden in your neighbourhood
- Act as an advocate for your community’s needs
- Provides a framework to educate, communicate and support neighbourhood initiatives
- Ability to mobilize neighbours toward positive action
- Pride in making a difference and experience you can take with you anywhere
All residents, business owners and property owners within the boundaries of each neighbourhood association is automatically considered a member of the neighbourhood association. Participation is free and can be as involved as sitting on the Board of Directors or as simple as coming out to an event or helping with a work bee in your local park!
Neighbourhood Associations help keep their areas clean and safe while hosting a variety of community-building events and championing projects to meet the needs of the community! To assist associations with this, the City of Grande Prairie has a Community Improvement Grant available to non-profits to bring residents together with a common goal.
View the list of active Neighbourhood Associations below for you to get involved in, or review the Getting Started Checklist to start your own!
For more information:
My Neighbourhood Card
Help keep your neighbourhood safe and get to know your neighbours better at the same time by reading and filling out the My Neighbourhood Card.
Neighbourhood Association Forums
The City of Grande Prairie offers quarterly Neighbourhood Association Forums that are attended by the Mayor, City Council Members, multiple City departments, and Neighbourhood Association board members. These forums provide an opportunity for the City of Grande Prairie to connect with the community by sharing updates and information, and by receiving feedback from residents.
The next Neighbourhood Association Forum will be taking place in June, 2022. For more information, or to suggest topics for this forum, please email email@example.com.
Previous Neighbourhood Association Forums