International Museum Day
Visitors from across the region are invited to attend free activities for International Museum Day with the Grande Prairie Museum, Heritage Discovery Centre, Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum and Veterans Memorial Garden and Interpretive Centre.
Date: Sunday, May 22, 2022
Time: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
To celebrate International Museum Day, the facilities are offering:
- Free shuttle service between locations every 40 minutes between 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. (please see shuttle schedule at the bottom of the page)
- Special feature exhibits at each museum.
- A virtual scavenger hunt from Friday, May 20 to Sunday, May 22 with a prize for a randomly selected winner.
- Food trucks or concession stands at each location
Each museum has a special feature exhibit on display for the community to enjoy during International Museum Day.
- The Grande Prairie Museum's current exhibit called ‘Eyeshine: The Boreal Forest at Night’ invites you to walk along a path surrounded by trees to find and learn about nocturnal animals. The exhibit displays a night forest, bat cave, Lumoplay interactive game and a scavenger hunt. There is also have a bat craft available for children to complete on May 22.
- The Heritage Discovery Centre's '$10 & A Dream' exhibit showcases four Peace Country artists' contemporary work, special artifacts, articles and catalogues that honour both the artists' and region's past.
- The Veterans Memorial Gardens and Interpretive Centre's Afghanistan war display includes three information panels, two shadow boxes and an outdoor collection. This exhibit features granite from the memorial cairn that stood sentinel in Kabul; photos of The Loyal Edmonton Regiments participation in the unveiling ceremony in Grande Prairie; and service panels for four soldiers connected to Grande Prairie.
- The Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum encourages visitors to use their imagination to build new dinosaurs with its new foam bones available in the Rotary Room.
Free Shuttle Service Schedule
Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum
Veterans Memorial Gardens and Interpretive Centre
Grande Prairie Museum
Heritage Discovery Centre
|4:30 p.m.**||4:55 p.m.**|
* Final bus to Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum
** Final bus to Grande Prairie Museum
International Museum Day Background
International Museum Day is an annual celebration put on by the International Council of Museums (ICOM) to raise awareness on the importance that museums have in promoting cultural connections, understanding and community.
The ICOM chose the theme The Power of Museums for this year’s International Museum Day to highlight the power of museums to transform the world around us.