The focus of the Sports Development, Wellness and Culture department is to:
- Liaise, support and nurture new and existing sport, culture, heritage resources, community groups, neighbourhood associations and other groups that may advocate, promote or further develop the leisure and wellness opportunities in the community.
- Oversee community grant administration and volunteer program coordination.
- Administer and manage lifecycle needs, as well as programming and usage of open space recreation infrastructure (ie tennis courts, soccer, softball, baseball, cricket fields, etc..).
- Monitor usage and recreation activity in Grande Prairie
- Develop and manage centralized citywide leisure infrastructure bookings including school gyms.
- Liaison and development of Sport, Culture, Neighbourhood Associations, South Peace Regional Archives Liaison and various other user groups;
- Coordination of general recreation programming, school and educational programming;
- Pursuit of Excellence, Arts Development Grants and Community Group Funding;
Facilities and other locations that fall under this portfolio include:
- Grande Prairie Museum and Heritage Village
- Heritage Discovery Centre, Centre 2000
- South Bear Creek Pavilion, infrastructure and amenities
- Ernie Radbourne Pavilion and amenities at Muskoseepi Park
- Forbes Homestead and Heritage Sites
- Legion Field and various sports amenities in the City unless otherwise assigned elsewhere (ie tennis courts, soccer fields, ball fields, skateboard parks, cricket pitch, etc.)